aero loading Pt 2

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: aero loading Pt 2
From: "Keith Turk" <kturk@adelphia.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 02:26:02 -0600
with a suspended car there is weight at all times on all four wheels when the
car is static.  That weight changes as the car accelerates down the course.
The first way I noticed the changes was with my air ride in the Camaro... the
air pressures increased and decreased as weight transfered around....  During
a shift for example... under power the rear was heavy.. then when you release
the clutch the nose became heavy... and as you selected the next gear and were
once again under power the weight transfered back to the rear... this happened
with each shift...( I know it's stating the obvious.. but we are talking about
changes in balance and that's what I want to understand )

To measure the actual wheel weight on each wheel of my car with coil overs on
all four corners we've come up with 2 solutions....  the best way is load
cells installed in the spring...and the 2nd way is to use liniar displacement
transducers...( slide potentiometers )  and obviously again we have to be
capable of capturing that data and interpeting it.

For each spring we start with a given weight and displacement from it's
original position then creates some information on the force involved.  Track
conditions have to be factored or filtered out.   So Dave has come up with a
way of exporting out data from the Quik Data to Excel which will give him the
ability to play with math functions and stablize the information.

So basically we are going to install 4 displacement transducers with hopes of
understanding how much downforce or lift the car has as it moves up in speed.

Once we are comfortable that the car is stable ( no lift and adequate
downforce ) we can search for the aero wall created by the drag induced as the
car increases in speed.  Again capturing and interpeting the actual wheel
weights along the way...

Keith ( my head hurts... but this is exactly what Seth Hammond and I talked
about... he'd thought about it but never did it... )