RE: The Wright Flyer (Non LSR)

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: The Wright Flyer (Non LSR)
From: John Szalay <john.szalay@att.net>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2003 14:04:31 -0500
At 10:47 AM 12/19/03 -0600, you wrote:
>Keith;
>
>That was a good program. It's a shame that most schoolbooks and many
>textbooks characterize the Wright Brothers as simple "bicycle mechanics" who
>tinkered with a glider with an engine.
>
>That's wrong, wrong, wrong! They were as advanced as anyone in the world in
>aerodynamics; they did careful wind tunnel experiments and analyzed other
>flight experimenter's failures as well as their own.
>
>They deserve much more credit that most books give them.
>
>Regards, Neil    Tucson, AZ

 True True,
its interesting to go to Dayton and visit the Air Force museum
and see a sample of their wind tunnel,  made from laminated wood.

http://www.wpafb.af.mil/museum/ac/pg000001.htm

and also see the example of their bike shop at Carillon park
(near NCR)

  http://www.carillonpark.org/

 FWIW:
and for those interested, the AF museum now has a B-2 on display.
its a reconstructed ground/structural stress test vehicle

  http://www.af.mil/stories/story.asp?storyID=123006228

 We try to visit every couple of years to see the changes in displays
and visit the museum restoration work area..