supporting vets-non lsr

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: supporting vets-non lsr
From: "Jawno" <wanderin@charter.net>
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2004 18:59:13 -0800
About a month ago someone on the list mentioned how Sears was going "beyond
the call of duty" in support of our troops overseas. Then someone else posted
a link to a list of businesses doing the same. Well this came across my bench
today and mentions a company of rather an opposite nature. I thought you might
like to know this information as well.

                           Jawno

      by Dick Forrey of the Vietnam Veterans Association

      Recently we asked the local TARGET store to be a proud
      sponsor of the Vietnam Veterans Memorial Wall during
      our spring recognition event.

      We received the following reply from the local TARGET
      management: "Veterans do not meet our area of giving.
      We only donate to the arts, social action groups, gay
      & lesbian causes, and education."

      So I'm thinking, if the Vietnam Veterans Memorial Wall
      and veterans in general do not meet their donation
      criteria, then something is really wrong at this
      TARGET store. We were not asking for thousands of
      dollars, not even hundreds, just a small sponsorship
      for a memorial remembrance.

      As a follow-up, I e-mailed the TARGET U.S. corporate
      headquarters and their response was the same. That's
      their national policy.

      Then I looked into the company further. They will not
      allow the Marines to collect for 'Toys for Tots' at
      any of their stores. And during the recent Iraq
      deployment, they would not allow families of employees
      who were called up for active duty to continue their
      insurance coverage while they were on military
      service. Then as I dig further, TARGET is a
      French-owned corporation.

      Now, I'm thinking again. If TARGET can not support
      American Veterans, then why should I and my family
      support their stores by spending our hard earned
      American dollars and to have their profits sent to
      France. Without the American Vets, where would France
      be today?

      Feel free to pass this along to whomever you want.

      Sincerely,

      Dick Forrey

      Veterans helping Veterans