Re: Motorcycles racecd for money on the salt?

To: "LSR List" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Motorcycles racecd for money on the salt?
From: "John Beckett" <saltracer@servusa.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 06:52:26 -0500
Scott Guthrie tried to send this to the list and couldn't so I thought I
would forward his thoughts to you all.
JB

Dennis Manning is a pretty famous guy on the Salt.  Dennis
has built a number of motorcycle streamliners, and one of them
actually held the ultimate motorcycle LSR under Cal Rayborn in the
1960's/1970's with a Warner Riley-built Nitro Sportster in the back.

There might actually be money forthcoming for racing on the salt, but
I doubt that it would be enough to cover the cost of cleaning up and
fixing the bike afterwards, let alone travel, preparation and time-
off-work.

Also to consider is the history of the AMA on the salt.  The SCTA
kicked the AMA off the salt in the 1970's for a variety of reasons.
So if you ran for an "AMA record," what would you be running for?
Break a record set in the 1950's or 60's?  Limited recognition in the
Salt community, for sure.  And when's the last time you heard about
an AMA land speed record?

As many problems as I have with the administration of SCTA-BNI, I
think I would still rather attend a real Bonneville meet, and spend
my money with the folks who have kept the flame alive for 50 years.

Scott