RE: New BFMS Car Questions

To: "'Nt788@aol.com'" <Nt788@aol.com>, land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: New BFMS Car Questions
From: "Albaugh, Neil" <albaugh_neil@ti.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 10:24:21 -0600
Jack;

That's why I said that if they were ever run on the salt they should be
disassembled and thoroughly cleaned. A Zyglo inspection would be a good idea
too.

Salt corrosion can damage any type of wheels - I haven't seen anyone running
stainless steel wheels-but thorough cleaning and inspection is particularly
important with magnesium, important with aluminum, and even recommended with
ordinary steel wheels.

I think the rule book "recommends" against magnesium wheels but they are not
prohibited. Well maintained mag wheels are not a problem but they are a pain
in the ass. I had a set of American mags on my '65 GTO and dogs would come
from all over the county to pee on those wheels!

Regards, Neil    Tucson, AZ