Spoliers vs. vents

To: "land speed" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Spoliers vs. vents
From: "Dan Warner" <dwarner@electrorent.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2004 11:12:42 -0800
Earlier this morning I spoke to a couiple of emails regarding Dick J's
question about a roof mounted spoiler. My mail from home didn't post so, I
came to the office to resend.

Mike LeFever responded that Dick's altered was not allowed the roof spoiler
because of class rules, that is correct as the Stude didn't have the spoiler
as OEM equipment.

I have seen Monzas use the roof spoiler, a stock option on that body in some
configurations, and remove it in favor of the stock deck spoiler. JD mentioned
the vent tubes that most successful Studebakers and some roadsters use. The
roadster #256 that I was envolved with with Keith Young in the 70's used these
vents. The first successful application of the vents I had seen was on this
roadster when run by the Brisette Bros. We were told that the vents were worth
18mph with no other changes at El Mirage. When Keith sold the roadster to Tom
Eiden he covered the vents in the theory that they were ineffective. That car
now runs in the 170s, I don't know if Tom Evens has opened the vents or not.
The only other roadster I can think of was a maroon car built by Gil Ruiz and
later run by Seth Hammond. That car may still be active in a different
color/configuration. AS JD mentioned, louvers in the deck will break air flow
over the top of the rear deck but will also allow fire from under the car to
come up and forward. Ask Dave Davidson, #811.

The Studebaker needs a spoiler or vents to be truely successful in class. Jsut
make sure you have brought a spare front and rear window if you use neither of
these devices as you will need it if you spin, approx. 180mph.

I don't want to stifle experimentation but, it is very hard to argue against
the lessons learned over 50 years of salt flat racing.

Dan Warner