Oil restrictors in a SBC, help

To: List Land Speed <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Oil restrictors in a SBC, help
From: Richard Kensicki <richk@spartajunction.com>
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2004 22:09:20 -0500
Anyone have an opinion on using oil restrictors for flow reduction? I've
pulled the motor out of the Vette I bought to get to the rear of the
block just to check this.

The engine is a  race motor and ground down the the first 2 lobes on the
cam in a short period of time. This original cam was a solid lifter cam.
The second owner found the cam problem and replaced the cam with milder
hydraulic cams; twice; and suffered the same problem along with severely
worn lifters. He never checked for oil restrictors.

I know the theory of what the restrictors accomplish but does a stock
SBC have any type of restrictor plug? I'm replacing the cam with a solid
lifter cam with the original lift/duration. Should I keep the
restrictors I have? In the Stef's Fabrication catalog their restrictors
use an .060 hole to reduce flow by 70%. The ones I have have an .093
hole. Will this be OK?

Have more questions but will hold off until tomorrow.

RichK