Re: Heating

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Heating
From: ARDUNDOUG@aol.com
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2004 23:23:35 EST
In a message dated 3/28/2004 7:57:34 PM Pacific Standard Time,
saltfever@comcast.net writes:

> Install a leak-down checker.  Take the radiator cap off and then add
> compressed air to the cylinder.  Normally it is done with the cylinder
> at TDC.  But in your case it won't matter.  Look for bubbles in the
> cooling system.  Check each cylinder that way.  -Elon

    In addition you can use a Stant radiator checker that has a radiator cap
attached to a pressure pump and gauge. You fill the system with whatever
coolant you use, install the cap, and pump pressure in til you get to whatever
pressure the system is designed for. My stant only goes to 13 psi, but if the
pressure holds you're off to a good start.
    Another test is to install the Stant checker and fire the engine. If the
pressure goes up quickly you have a compression leak. The normal warm-up of
the engine will cause the pressure to rise a little............Ardun Doug