RE: Octane

To: <RACE427@aol.com>, <saltracer@awwwsome.com>, <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Octane
From: "Dave Dahlgren" <ddahlgren@snet.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 07:16:14 -0400
You might want to read this and think about it a little more..
http://www.ercracingfuels.com/sxs1.htm  please explain the BTU concept
again??

here some others to ponder...
http://www.cs.uu.nl/wais/html/na-dir/autos/gasoline-faq/part1.html
http://www.cs.uu.nl/wais/html/na-dir/autos/gasoline-faq/part2.html
http://www.cs.uu.nl/wais/html/na-dir/autos/gasoline-faq/part3.html
http://www.cs.uu.nl/wais/html/na-dir/autos/gasoline-faq/part4.html

http://www.prime-mover.org/Engines/GArticles/octane.html

There is a lot more to fuel chemistry than just the octane number. how the
number is achieved IE the additive package as well as the percentage of
aromatic hydrocarbons all play a part in it.. You might want to consider how
Honda ran 58 lbs of boost in a 1.5 liter F1 engine for hours on end and only
had a so called 102 RON fuel. The answer is in the last link (part4 of the
series of 4).. gasoline is a chemical soup with lots of interesting
properties and I don't think you can hang on the values of just a few of
those and make an intelligent decision on fuels.

Just for good measure I stumbled on this link as well. It is about engine
balance but a good read by someone that seems to have a clue if reading the
referenced material at the end.
http://www.prime-mover.org/Engines/GArticles/BALANCE.Lyc

There is a ton of good info on the net just read to see if they reference
known sources or are just giving you their favorite new theory.

Dave