The history of Modified sports?

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: The history of Modified sports?
From: "Keith Turk" <kturk@adelphia.net>
Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 05:44:02 -0500
I've heard some folks kinda sniveling about the Modified sports class being
nothing but a Streamliner with a semi body on the back...

As I sit here looking at a picture of Donald Healey's 1954 and 1956 entry's at
Bonneville it was much more of a streamliner then the current rules allow...
basically back then he modified the front and back leaving just the center
section of the car....

My question to the collected mass's is this.... does anybody know how the
rules have changed over the years.  what I'd like to do is put together a
collective history defining how the rules came to be as they are...   trust me
I have no complaint about them... I'd just like to know a bit more about the
history of the class.

Keith ( anyone for a Bondo party? )