Potentiometers...? ( who cares how it's spelled )

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Potentiometers...? ( who cares how it's spelled )
From: "Keith Turk" <kturk@ala.net>
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2004 13:53:50 -0500
     I've always had an interest in knowing what the car was doing at speed...
with the Camaro it's a simple matter of reading the pressure on the front and
rear air bags...( rears are gone now... but you get the idea ).... Air
pressure measurements indicated that the nose had downforce... I never got
overly sceintific about it... but I could have...

With the new suspension in the Sportsliner... I really wanted to know
something about how much downforce it had and if in fact it was increasing at
speed or not... and I wanted to know how much the car was unbalanced when the
parachute comes out....    to do that Dave has come up with 4 potentiometers
that measure distance...they are about 10" long retracted and around 14" long
extended...( if you want exact I'll get the numbers for you )  I'm going to
mount them right along side of the Coil overs and then calibrate them to know
the altitude of the body at all times.....   and ultimately with the Coil
overs I'll know how much downforce it's creating as a result of the air
pressure when it's at Speed....

Might sound like I'm out tricking myself again... but honestly I don't want a
repeat of Seth's deal when it's a simple matter of taking the time to do the
measurements...

Keith ( I want to say thanks to Dave Dahlgren for his help in putting this
package together... )