NASCAR Aerodynamics Question

To: Dave Dahlgren <ddahlgren@snet.net>, land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: NASCAR Aerodynamics Question
From: Dick J <lsr_man@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2004 12:47:12 -0700 (PDT)
I'm sure NASCAR has spent zillions of dollars wind tunnel testing the rear
spoilers on NASCAR racecars.  How much of that spoiler design is for keeping
the car slowed to what NASCAR feels is the safe limit, and how much of it is
designed to keep the rear wheels on the ground and behind the front wheels?
The spoilers seem awfully high and I notice that they are curved in a convex
manner cupping the air over the rear deck. Would that be a good spoiler design
for somebody using a late model car in LSR?  For that matter, when I look at
the profile and shape of the Studebaker from the top of the car back, if that
type of spoiler was to be placed about two feet back from the base of the
window, the contours and aero effect would be almost the same.  Who cares about
the "leftover" part of the Stude that would be behind and under the spoiler?

Dick J
In East Texas