Carl Heap

To: "landspeed@autox.team.net" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Carl Heap
From: "Glen Barrett" <speedtimer@charter.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 07:44:08 -0600
Today my friend Carl Heap is being laid to rest. I met Carl several years ago
when he and Bob Slagel came to the salt with what is now the famous Phoenix
record setting truck. This pair of racers went out of their way to comply to
the demands of SCTA and our requirements for safety.

Running a truck of this nature was an unknown to all of us. No one expected
much to come of this vehicle as it was a new venture into landspeed racing.
There were many special concerns with a vehicle of this size running at high
speeds. Bob and Carl were far ahead of us in their planning.

When this vehicle started reaching speeds at over 200mph we were in awe of
what they were doing. Along the way there were problems with tires blowing and
they had had the foresight to plan for this. They had two large skis mounted
under the front axle of the truck to prevent it from digging into the salt, it
worked well and the truck stopped without problems and left only a small gouge
in the salt.

They were very innovative with the development of this vehicle. We lost Bob a
few years ago and now we have lost Carl. These two people were true racers and
two of the funniest people I ever met. It was never dull around the Phoenix
crew. They were so laid back and enjoying every moment of their time on the
salt, they always had time to talk to anyone that stopped by.

What a wonderful friend we had in Carl. I have had the honor to time every run
of the Phoenix and when they made the record setting runs we were part of it.
The 285 mph terminal speed was the talk of the day. It was right up there with
all of the big guns. They achieved what will take a long time for some one to
challenge in the world of landspeed racing.

Carl will be missed but never forgotten. We are all with him in his final
journey today. GOD SPEED CARL,

Glen Barrett