Re: Chute Forces (1)

To: "DrMayf" <drmayf@teknett.com>, "John Goodman" <ggl205@yahoo.com>,
Subject: Re: Chute Forces (1)
From: "Glen Barrett" <speedtimer@charter.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 08:03:08 -0600
List
This subject seems to come up every year about this time. A lot of study has
been done by the streamliner gang regarding chute deployment, opening shock,
tow line lengths, canopy design, size etc. What works for one doesn't always
work for the other guy. Being at the far end in the timing trailer we see a
lot of unusual things happen during chute deployment.

Some come out and trail fine, others whip and spin. some are delayed because
of the vortex behind the car, some have short tow lines and try to lift the
back of the car.

Jack Costello added vortex generators as did Terry Nish to clean up the air
and turbulence behind the car. We always notify the driver/crews of anything
we see unusual during deployment. We also notify the safety crew (Ed & Chris
Shearer) at the 7 mile of a known problem. They are 1st there to assist.

A lot of videos of chutes have been taken by crews trying to understand what
goes on behind the vehicle. Another important issue is the mounting of the
tow line to the back of the car to prevent the chute from trying to lift the
vehicle.

 How it is packed in a tube, a standard pack or a bag. First, it must be
clean and dry. The inspection after each run to make sure there are no
tears, and fraying that could cause problems.

This subject is always interesting but in the end, talk to the experts and
look at the vehicles in inspection to the designs, mounting, the type of
releases etc.

Glen