RE: Shock theory...( Dang Goodman )

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Shock theory...( Dang Goodman )
From: John Goodman <ggl205@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 11:34:27 -0700 (PDT)
Neil:

Even the best racing shocks, and I would include
Ohlins and Penske in the lot, are good to about .200"
of travel. Anything less than that and you loose the
benefit of those very expensive dampers. You have to
move at least a minimum of oil through valves in order
to achieve proper dampening. Another thing to consider
is heat. Tens of thousands of short, choppy movements
of the damper is akin to a high-speed churn. This all
generates heat and sometimes difficult to dissipate.
Longer motions of the damper piston generates less
heat and more reliable dampening (more movement of
higher volumes of oil).

One should keep in mind that springs are for
controlling ride height and shocks are for dampening
springs. Sometimes we use these two components for the
wrong reasons.

John Goodman