Motorcycle main jet sizes

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Motorcycle main jet sizes
From: "The Weldons" <2weldons@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 20:22:43 -0700
You guys who want to get deep into how your jets flow--Look closely at the
edges of the inlet side of the jet hole. Do a little research into liquid flow
through orifices and you'll see how much effect the edge of the hole has on
flow.  Engineers quantified this in the old days (my time) with efficiency
factors called "discharge coefficients".  These were determined by flow tests.
Nowadays they use CFD (computational fluid dynamics) software.  Kind of pricey
for us racers unless you work in that trade.
One thing that can help is a good low power microscope.  Around 15-30x
magnification will show a lot down in the one mil range while having enough
depth of field to let you hand hold and move around what you're looking at.
Good buys can be found on ebay.  I found my two binocular scopes at machinery
dealers, one for $300 and a smaller one for the shop for looking at tool
cutting edges for $40.  Needs to be better than the little hand scopes guys
use to check their plugs.  In my engineering job I spent a lot of time being
amazed at how mechanical features looked at 30x magnification under a
binocular microscope.
Ed Weldon