ARG!!

To: "LSR list" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: ARG!!
From: "atrav" <atrav@vcmails.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2004 22:26:34 -0400
A vent...
     I've been fighting the carbs (DAYS!!) on one of my motorcycle projects, an
'86 Ninja 1000R. All
four carbs totally rebuilt, jets probed with my new pin gages, gone over top to
bottom. But, all day
long today the float levels would be perfect on the bench, but about five
minutes after being on the
bike, the #2 carb would be overflowing with fuel, what a mess.
     All day long, I take the carbs off, double check the float level, fill 'em
with gas, shake 'em
around, tilt 'em, leave 'em tilted, dry as a bone, when off the bike.
     But, four times now, when mounted, the #2 float valve will just let go and
flood all over. I
leave the external float gage on it now, and can see the fuel rising up and out.
     Now, I think I've found the problem, we'll see how long it lasts, the
carbs are on the bike
now. The #2 float valve is one of those rubber tipped valves. When I was poking
around behind the
valve (expecting a chunk or something to keep the valve open randomly) I
noticed that it's real
shallow beyond the valve. What I think was happening was that this particular
rubber 'nipple' part
of the valve was a little longer than the rest (think 'gum massager' on a
toothbrush), or this valve
assembly sits a little lower than the others, either way I think the very
pointy tip of the nipple
was touching the back of the fuel feed area. I clipped just a hair off of it,
and it's lasted like
15 minutes so far.
     We'll see tomorrow, the mosquitoes have found me in the garage, and I'm so
sick of carburetors
I'm ready for the bicycle. I won't even rant about Kawasaki's two piece plastic
floats, born to
sink....
-Aron-