Re: Bright Stuff

To: <Bobbyhotrods@comcast.net>, "Landspeed" <Land-speed@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Bright Stuff
From: "atrav" <atrav@vcmails.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2004 22:18:17 -0400
----- Original Message -----
From: <Bobbyhotrods@comcast.net>

> The expense is found in the polishing prep (labor) and polution control,
>ergo, you'll find big
savings where labor is cheap and polution regs are not strict, typically in
southern states.

Well, I am in Florida, but it's either outrageous pricing, or really really
poor quality. At least
from what I've heard from the local hot rodders, and seen (peeling chrome,
grind marks under the
chrome, etc.).

>  You'll want a shop who at least in part specializes in brightwork.
>Industrial work usually
involves different copper and nickel plating solutions.

The places that are truly local seem to be industrial first, and have a rep for
loosing valuable
parts.

> If anything you have is in poor shape, you can have it heavily copper plated
>and returned to you
where you can fill the holes with solder, what they'd do with it, then send it
back for more
polishing and subsequent plating.

Good idea.

> Don't send any tempered steel. Electroless nickel holds up better than bright
>chrome on the salt;
it's very passive, but generally won't accept a flash coat of chrome for that
blue shade for that
same reason....BJ

Just curious, why won't it work with tempered steel? How about spring steel?
Is electroless nickel purely a chemical process?

TIA,
-Aron-