Re: Bright Stuff

To: <bobbyhotrods@comcast.net>, atrav <atrav@vcmails.com>,
Subject: Re: Bright Stuff
From: W S Potter <wester6935@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2004 07:24:54 -0600
on 10/23/04 9:49 PM, bobbyhotrods@comcast.net at bobbyhotrods@comcast.net
wrote:

>> Just curious, why won't it work with tempered steel? How about spring steel?
>> Is electroless nickel purely a chemical process?
>>
> Oh, it'll "work". You can plate springs, etc..., but hydrogen molecules from
> the acids get into the matrix of the structure of the tempered steel, rattle
> around and create fissures that can lead to failures. The "cure" is to bake
> the part after plating in an attempt to drive out the hydrogen, the tiniest of
> molecules. Not real safe, though.
> And yeah, electroless nickel is just that, no electricity involved, so that
> every surface gets an equal deposition. It's a good protective finish for new
> headers, plating 'em inside and out. They won't look great, with inconsistent
> luster and heat effects, but they'll last a hell of a long time.    BJ

That's why a coating like HPC Hypercoat works so well on headers, new or
old.  Coated inside and out, it cuts the metal fatigue common on uncoated
headers at the welds.  Uncoated, the header on my daily driver VW lasted
just under three years.  I had the next one coated and eight years later
there are still no cracks.  You can use the HPC polish, one specifically
designed for that coating, and any lean burn clouding of the shiny surface
comes off quickly.
The new ceramic/metallic coatings may not shine like chrome but the problems
connected with chrome just don't exist and they keep a higher percentage of
exhaust heat inside the tubing.  The gray coating on Burkland's #411 or
Hammonds #77 isn't as pretty as chrome but it keeps over 50% of the heat
inside the tubing.

Wes