Re: Push bar survey

To: "land Speed List" <land-speed@Autox.Team.Net>,
Subject: Re: Push bar survey
From: "Jim Dincau" <jdincau@qnet.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 10:12:19 -0800
Dick,
     Our modified roadster has a push bar that points straight back so I
will have to have a flat plate to push against it. We had never had to push
the car off till this last year and in building the bar on the car I could
not come up with an arrangement of vertical or horizontal bar that would not
interfere with the existing parachute setup which works very well. I would
also like to be able to use my truck to push other cars when doing patrol
duty at the lakes thus the questions about height and width.
     I have already started to modify a front mount trailer hitch receiver
to accept whatever I build. I was thinking of using a piece of aluminum
plate that I have and backing it up with a 1 1/2 inch square tube frame.
 Jim in Palmdale

> Jim
> I would think that the car to be pushed would determine much of this.
Does it have a bumper or verticle nerf bare?  Whatever it has, the push
truck has to have the other.  In my case, the racecar has a bumper, so I
made a nerf bar for the front of the push truck.  I did a small amount of
cutting on the front bumper, modified and installed a receiver hitch from a
bone yard behind the bumper with the receiver in the hole that I cut behind
the front tag.  I used a hinged tag bracket from a 70s Chevy on the front
bumper.  I then took an old trailer hitch, cut off a few inches, and used
some scraps of roll cage tubing to make a nerf bar that is about 2 feet
high - - enough to reach from ten inches off the ground to about a foot
above the bumper.  When I get ready to push, I"ll flip open the front tag,
insert the nerf bar just like a trailer hitch, put a pin in it, and push
away.  Before I leave the track, I just pull the pin, remove the nerf bar,
and the truck looks perfectly sto
>  ck again.
>
> If your racecar has a verticle nerf bar, I would think you could make a
rig just like mine, but install it sideways instead.  That way, you end up
with the verticle bar on the car and the horizontal bar on the truck forming
a "+" sign as you push the racer.