Re: Tire shaving

To: "land Speed List" <land-speed@Autox.Team.Net>,
Subject: Re: Tire shaving
From: "Jim Dincau" <jdincau@qnet.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2005 20:36:40 -0800
Gene,
     I already talked to Nate Jones,It turns out what I want is tire
"buffing", not shaving. Shaving is done on the rim, buffing is done off the
rim. Buffing is the preparation step in recapping tires. This is the process
that Bruce Geisler suggested to us for removing the tread from 8.00-18 Indy
tires back in about 1976. It is very controlable as to the ammount of rubber
left and there is no danger of cutting into the cords of the tire. I have a
pair of those old Firestones that I would like the tread removed from but
for the life of me I can't remember the name of the place that Bruce sent us
too. I only remember it was somewhere down by Gene Mooneyham's place in
Lakewood.
Jim