aluminum jacks

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: aluminum jacks
From: "Benn" <karhu@california.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2005 13:40:59 -0800
Thanks to all who responded to my request for info.  I ended up buying a
PepBoys single-pump unit for $100 (the dual pump unit at $170 was probably
nicer, but not $75 nicer that I could tell when I bought the cheaper one).

Pluses:  Nice 'n' light--37#, almost a joy to lift into the car.  Rolls really
well on the smooth concrete in my garage, and is much better even on gravelly
(sp?) surfaces with the wide single front roller than my old monster steel
jack.  Fast lifting (I think they claim 7 pumps to full 17-1/2" height).

Minuses:  The valve control is v. touchy and difficult to do a controlled
descent--the first car I used it on ended up getting dropped a half inch or so
pretty hard onto a jackstand. This is a significant problem, but I reckon I'll
have to live with it, or get real familiar with the touch on it--the valve
seems to behave like an o-ring type face seal rather than a nice
metal-to-metal tapered needle valve. Hand force on the handle is a little
high--to be expected with the fast rise rate though.  Capacity at 3000# is a
little light, but should be fine for 99% of what I do with it.

Thanks again, all, for your comments.
Benn