Re: Subject: Starter / Alternator question

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>, <staiger3@starband.net>
Subject: Re: Subject: Starter / Alternator question
From: "J I Waldron" <jwaldron47@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2005 07:56:45 -0500
John,

Starter/generators are used quite a bit on turbine engines.
Unit is geared to the main shaft, works like a starter when
'starting' (duh), and as it is directly geared is used as a
generator after the engine catches.

Units are pretty robust, but if I recall correctly, make some
weird power output (like 440 cycles - or something - I'm
sure they have something more compatible now).

Bear in mind these units are made to move a smoothly
rotating mass to speed - don't know how well they would
work with a periodic compression engine (may not have
the torque to overcome a compression stroke).

I'm sure a mechanic at your local airport FBO would be
happy to discuss.  If you have a local community college
with an A&P (Airframe & Powerplant) school they
probably have a unit you could inspect.

Thanks,
Jim W.

Snip-->