Re: Batteries and Alternators

To: lsr list autox <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Batteries and Alternators
From: Dick J <lsr_man@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 05:54:32 -0800 (PST)
It's a space problem, not a desire to gain a couple of extra HP.  If I add a
pulley and stock water pump to the front of the motor,  the radiator won't fit
behind the front axle.and cross member.  If I move the radiator in front of the
axle, the plumbing becomes a nightmare.

If I add an alternator, it won't clear the Studebaker hood if I mount it on the
original bracket on the manifold.  Because of the width of the hemi, it can't
be mounted out to the side like I did with the SBC.  The only place it could
possibly fit is down where a power steering pump usually mounts, and because
the hemi is mounted so low in the frame, the alternator will touch both the
bottom of the head and the tie rod.

As far as ignition goes, I guarantee, I will not go to a box.  My whole purpose
in building this car is to again enjoy the way I did it in the fifties.

Dick J.