Re: Center of pressure?

To: "land-speed" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Center of pressure?
From: "DrMayf" <drmayf@teknett.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2005 07:30:36 -0700
Is that right? CAn you tell me the source of this? I know model rocket
builders sometimes us the string approach to finding the Cp But I don't
think real missiles, real airplanes, real cars use that method. Unless it
goes into the wind tunnel or or uses CFD to find it, Cp is pretty hard to
find. Every pressure over the entire surface of the vehicle has to be
accounted for and that is not easily done.  And becaue of turbulent flow may
change with speed. In surface vehicles, you also need to account for the
ground effects underneath the car.  On a free flight vehicle Cp is pretty
important because of stability issues, however, for ground vehicles there is
another more important factor and that is the front wheel (or rear wheel)
steering. Those contact patches on the ground make up for a lot of
instability that might have arisen from a  misplaced Cp.

IMHO

mayf, out in Pahrump