Re: Center of pressure?

To: "John Goodman" <ggl205@yahoo.com>, <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Center of pressure?
From: "Keith Turk" <kturk@adelphia.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2005 11:58:12 -0500
Tom your answer is as good as any so far....  Don't know how accurate it
is... but your dealing with real effects of making a change and comparing it
to a known condition...  bottom line is that your experience has given you
the ability to control the handling effects of the car....   what we call
that has little merit... the outcome obviously is exceptional.

Here are my thoughts on doing this theoretically...  My car has the ability
to measure the actual downforce in pounds... can't do much with the side
downforce then before, and on which wheel  (independantly) that happens.
Since the downforce numbers increase with speed we can start to draw a graph
of what happens as it increases in speed.... extrapolating out for increases
in speed past where we are currently running.  ( being careful to understand
the coeffiecnet of traction occurs at some point )

If we define the Center of pressure as being the point where lift and drag
occur in a car,  then ultimately that will change the wheel weights and like
doing a Center of Gravity chart I can also determine the actual center of
pressure less the side forces involved...

What I know is that the current center of pressure is moving aft as the
speed increases....  how far aft is still up for grabs... but it moves
back... that much I know...

Keith