Re: 9" Ford Pinion (1350 yoke)

To: "land-speed submit" <land-speed@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: 9" Ford Pinion (1350 yoke)
From: "Chris Harris" <yesford@clear.net.nz>
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2005 10:15:04 +1200
> Listers:  I just received a Spicer (clone) number 1350 yoke. I test-fit it
> to a standard 28 spline pinion and it would go on only about 1/8"-1/4" and
> then bind. I am used to the yoke sliding on and then torqueing down with
> the
> nut. Is it within production tolerance for them to have to be pressed on
> the
> pinion splines? As it is, I can't get it on far enough for the threads to
> protrude out to start a nut. -Elon

Hi Elon,
All 9" yokes I've dealt with have slid smoothly on also but your 'production
tolerance' suggestion strikes a chord with me.
For this year I bought a new Dart block. The cam tunnel averages 6/10's of a
thou bigger than the high end tolerance and the front bearing can be pushed
in by hand. The lifter bores have 3 1/2 thou clearance with brand new
lifters and the crank tunnel is 1 1/2 thou smaller than low end tolerance.
The new set of Wiseco custom pistons vary 3 thou in diameter also. So much
for these space age machining centers, you still need a competent operator
otherwise the quality doesn't follow.

Chris Harris................New Zealand.

7425877  875127