Basic tune-up question

To: lsr list autox <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Basic tune-up question
From: Dick J <lsr_man@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2005 18:19:03 -0700 (PDT)
When I was a kid, I put two AFBs on a stock 283 SBC and it didn't want to take
wide open throttle really well.  Now my street rod has a 468 CID big block with
mild street cam (Comp Cam 242 flat tappet Hyd), Edelbrock Performer intake and
750 Holley. As far as I know (motor was built when I bought the car) the
pistons are flat-tops, and the heads are stock from 1975.
Cruising along at 2800 RPM, if I tromp on it, it just wants to make a lot of
air intake noise and doesn't really respond.  In fact, it almost feels like it
accelerates faster if I back off just a little on the throttle. From a standing
start, it's got nothing at all.  Now a 750 Holley feeding 468 cubes is not what
I'd consider "over-carbed", but it's acting just about like that 283 did.
Anybody got any ideas.

DIck J
In East Texas