Re: Texas Mile 16-17 July 2005

To: Jon Wennerberg <jon@infodestruction.com>, land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Texas Mile 16-17 July 2005
From: Dick J <lsr_man@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 9 May 2005 07:24:04 -0700 (PDT)
Jon,
They have a motel listed on their site.  There's also a motel in Beeville,
Texas which is close and convenient.  The "alternate" hotel in Victoria is too
far from the track.

They will have fuel available if you let them know what you need in advance.
Entry is $175. I arrive there on Friday afternoon, but the lines are no longer
than Maxton, and inspection on Saturday morning is no problem.  Actual tech is
very quick since the organization caters to street cars and they mainly look at
battery tie-down, tire ratings, and seatbelts/harnesses.  They have a burger
and BBQ caterer that makes some really good sandwiches and they do not price
gouge.

The pavement on the track is very smooth.  The shutdown is a little shorter
than Maxton, so be prepared.  Be sure you bring some kind of shade with you.
South Texas sun will fry you in about fifteen minutes in July.  There are
usually about half a dozen genuuine LSR racers.  A couple of southern
California guys are usually there too. The bulk of the cars are "trendy people"
in corvettes, mustangs, and camaros, but they are really nice people.  There
are usually half a dozen bikes there.

If you do decide to go, keep in touch with me.  The track is MUCH HARDER to
find than Maxton.  I can help by either meeting you somewhere on the highway,
or at least sending you a good map and explicit directions. The first time I
went there, I drove around in the south texas ranches for nearly 150 miles
after leaving the motel and only found the place by flagging down three
different motorists for help.   You're even welcome to spend Thursday night at
our spread in East Texas and we can convoy down to south Texas together on
Friday morning.  Just getting through Houston without a guide can be a
challenge!

 Dick J
In East Texas

Yahoo! Mail