RE: Fuel Injection Question

To: "Jon.the.Wise" <jon.the.wise@gmail.com>,
Subject: RE: Fuel Injection Question
From: "Dave Dahlgren" <ddahlgren@snet.net>
Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 05:39:10 -0400
Jon how much alky have you incinerated?
This e-mail group is turning into one of the largest sources of
misinformtion i have seen in a while. see answers below mixed in with all
the accumulated knowledge so far.
Dave

Google is your friend as are the archives. Do you think the motor octance or
the research octane is more import and why? Rick Gold and I had quite the
debate about this last year at speedweek and we plan on continuing the
converstaion before and during speedweek.

>The reason that you need more to make equal power is
> that it has a lower BTU rating, and you have to run closer to a 6-8:1
> air:fuel ratio as opposed to a 12-14:1 air:fuel of gasoline (leaded or
> not) to get the same burn.

It does have a lower BTU rating as a side effect which is not what you
really want in an engine that converts heat into power. It is the chemistry
of the fuel that sets the ratios. Again Google is still your friend.

>Alcohol also burns slower, which is why you
> usually advance the timing 14 or so degrees further than you would
> with gas.

Are you real sure about this one like test data or something?

>In the real world I have no practical experience with this
> though.

So with no real world experience what do you base all your knowledge
around.. At the fuel truck or when faced with a complex problem or on the
dyno i find chicken bones to be more accurate than flipping a coin. Have you
had the same experience as well?

>I'd also note that alcohol burns cooler than gas, so you can
> produce more power without the latent heat that you would get from
> gasoline.

See the btu answer above. Do you think with all your experience that the
latenet heat of vaporization dropping the charge air temp has anything to do
with this. I am betting on heads for this one. it is so simple the chicken
bones can stay in the bag for the bigger problems.