Tuesday's Efforts

To: "land-speed@autox.team.net" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Tuesday's Efforts
From: drmayf <drmayf@mayfco.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 19:51:26 -0700
Well, I have finally been straightened out! Between Glen and Dan, I now
know that if I want to get my car inspected in July, come on the 16th,
the day before racing. That'll be cool because nobody will be racing
that day and we can visit with all our friends, both of them. No, wait,
one is my wife, she don't count.

Today I revisited my brakes. Yesterday I could get no pedal, so I
removed the master cylinder and bench bled it, or at least I think I
did. Pu tit back in and no pedal. Gary helped me bleed the old fashioned
way and I get nothing but clear fluid out the bleeders. If the brakes
are pumped then I got really good brakes. I am suspecting now that the
master cylinder is not up to putting out the volume of fluid that the
brakes need. I have f piston calipers all around so it takse a lot of
fluid to get them to bite. I think I am ok though.

Found a pin hole in my aludimum welding, dangt, I hate that! Especially
since it is on the installed water tank, filled with distilled water and
it is no picnic to remove it. So I may just put in some sealer to see it
that helps. Epoxy in the form of JB Weld is  next choice.

Them we pressed on with the fuel system check. Yikes, did not pass go on
first try!. Turned the pump on seems ok, pressure a little low like 25
psig and gas everywhere! Immediate shutdown and batt disconnects. Fuel
was coming out from around the top of one injector. Removed the rail and
injectors. Everything was fine So put it all back together, no easy
task, ask Gary, and tried it again. Worked flawlessly.   Even set the
pressure to 39 psig give or take a pound or 2.  I wil wait until
Thursday to try and fire the motor. GAry will be here to watch for
unexpected or unplanned events. I know it has to be times to a base 10
degrees and I am hoping that won't be a problem. I also got the correct
turbo to TB transition hoses today so it will have some boost
capabilituy. I still need to wire in my water injector hobbs switch and
solenoid valve, and the water pump. No biggie,

Well that is what I did today, with Gary's help, to get ready for
September. I fialize the trailer tomorrow, pick it upin Tex in August.
Joe Timney has my fat man driving suit on order, need to find seat belt
length and a helmet size. I ahve ordered all the car lashdown stuff as
well as a really big weight distribution hitch and 2 sway bars. Along
with a magic brake controller. Ordered my laptop today, thanks to all
who made suggestions. Because this thing will ride in the car gathering
engine data, I di dnot wat to spend a lot of money on it. I bought a
Dell Lattitude CPX, P3, 650MHZ, yada yada to do the deed. I may have to
get a battery but they are only 50 bucks and a car power adapter for 20
more.

life is good, especially since I didn't burn the shop down around my ears...

ya'll take care, ya hear..

mayf