27T street roadster classification/rules

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: 27T street roadster classification/rules
From: "The Weldons" <2weldons@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 2 Jul 2005 10:05:13 -0700
I have questions for anyone who has had experience with this--
What is/are the defining dimension(s) to determine whether a 1926-27 Ford T
roadster "hood" length meets the rule requirements for 5.B.3 Street Roadster
classification per 2005 rule book pg 52 -- "Hood length......increased a
maximum of 3"....top centerline of hood" ?  Also relevant here is the wording
on pg 51-52 Stock panels.....mounted in their original relationship to each
other." Based on follow on wording I assume that these words apply to
replacement panels also.
First off-- What's the accepted length of a stock 27 hood? (it's not like I
started with a stock model T here).
2nd-- Exactly where is each end of the hood located relative to the grille
shell and body?  What kind of tolerances on these dimensions are accepted?
(1/2 " means a lot to me with regard to making things fit on what I have to
work with)
3rd-- Is there some other defining dimension that determines whether the car
is legal or not?  (like a distance between two specific and defining features
on the body and grill shell?
4th-- How far can I tilt the grille shell forward or back and still be in
tolerance?  Pg 51 -- "Stock panels....hood side panels....grille shell,
etc.......shall be mounted in their original relationship to each other"
5th-- Assuming only the hood is what gets measured for length (my
interpretation of the wording in the rule book)-- Can the grille shell be
lengthened a small amount?  The rules mention grille height and width, but are
silent on the issue of length.
6th--In the extreme -- "The radiator must fill the shell opening"  This
doesn't say that it can't extend forward of the shell opening or that the
opening can't be trimmed slightly to accomplish this.  (I know, not exactly
good aerodynamically and ugly as sin.  But I figured I'd ask.)
7th--Cylindrical tanks allowed in front of the grille-- Does it have to be
functional or can it just be filled with air?
Sure would appreciate any learned comments before I bug Russ Eyers on this.
Ed Weldon