Re: DOT messes with Racers

To: "Tom Shannon" <saltfevr@mail.sisna.com>
Subject: Re: DOT messes with Racers
From: Wester Potter <wester6935@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 16:29:14 -0600
This is something that came up in the mid-west and apparently has
become a concern for racers over that area.  If you are not racing for
cash you generally are safe.  The best thing to do is to check with the
DOT of your state to be sure you are in compliance before you leave
home.  GET IT IN WRITING and carry a copy of that with you when you
travel.  John MacKichan went over this with the Nebraska officials and
nailed it down for his crew and their liner.  Even with the Speedway
name on the car he was determined to be amateur and thus exempt.  If
you don't cover your tail you can be in violation of several laws.  The
aggravation can be a real pain if you are towing to the salt and you
were late getting away from home.

Wonder what the So-Cal Speed Shop guys do in this situation?  Even the
So- Al guy.  Anyone care to comment?

Wes