I80 across Nevada

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: I80 across Nevada
From: "The Weldons" <2weldons@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2005 10:30:14 -0700
Share the wealth time.....

Last year returning to CA after Speedweek I decided to check out the various
places along Interstate 80 in Nevada where I could pull off and sleep if I got
tired of driving.  Took some photos and made some notes.  Got carried away
condensing my notes and instead expanded them into a 7+ page Word Document.
This only covers the stretch of I80 between Reno and Wendover.

Be glad to share this with any of you racers, hot rodders or fans who contact
me.  This is a 13+ megabyte file (due to the high resolution photos) and I
have a "dial up" connection.  So if you want an email copy I'll send you just
the much smaller text file with no photos.  Or if you'd like I can snail mail
you either a hard copy or a CD of the full file with photos.  Don't worry
about the cost of postage, blank CD's and printer ink.  This is a complete
freebee; the costs are all trivial to me.  And just to let you know, there is
nothing commercial about this.  I will not give or share your names and
addresses with anyone under any circumstances.  I have enough stuff to do in
my retirement without getting involved in any small business stuff.

And I suggest you avoid any temptation to post the write-up or give it any
kind of mass distribution without some judicious editing.  Some of the spots
aren't obvious, which makes them especially nice for security reasons.  If I
get too many requests from people who obviously won't be traveling from West
Coast states or ports of entry I may have to back away on the freebee thing.

Here's a sample of some of my text:

(exit)328 River Ranch    Decent looking parking and turning are on the NW side
behind small hill.  Visible after you pass exit ramp going west.  May not be
visible going east.

(exit)301 Elko Main.    Elko is the biggest town between Reno and Salt Lake.
Lots of businesses at this exit.  There is camping somewhere on the road S
into the town center.  There's a Walmart on the N side on the hill behind the
McDonalds for overnight parking.  There's gas (CA  - 12 cents) and a nice
Smith's market on the S side of the exit. Get your Smiths discount card here.

(exit)343 Welcome-Starr Valley   Welcome Station RV park
(775-752-2736)(welcomervpark@frontiernet.net) on NE side not visible going
East at night.  Nice old guy Larry Brammer runs it.  Been there for decades.
Said the last time he went to Speedweek was in the 50's.  2004 price
$15.00/night (no hookups).  Center lane of campsites (with full hookups)are
the only ones with reliable pull throughs.  Others on the sides have soft
grassy areas beyond.  OK to park outside the gate for free.  Pull into an
inside site late and he'll catch you in the morning.

Ed Weldon