[Fwd: TWFSWB's Firs Public Exposure]]

To: "land-speed@autox.team.net" <land-speed@autox.team.net>,
Subject: [Fwd: TWFSWB's Firs Public Exposure]]
From: drmayf <drmayf@mayfco.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 06:43:42 -0700
Part 1A
PArt 1B to follow
Word count is killing me...

Part 1A of 2

This past Saturday, the World's Fastest Sunbeam (Wannabe) made the trip
to El Mirage in the Southern California Desert. The trip was quick and
hot, on the way back the truck's air temp gage hit 127 degrees. The dry
lake bed was in the 90's but there was humidity making for a higher heat

The Sunbeam got in the Tech Inspection line and waited it's turn. When
Jim and Mike (or was it Jim and Jim) came to inspect the car, I
explained to them what I was looking for: that is, have I missed
something that is required by the rule book that I have not adequately
covered? I explained that I might need the extra time to correct any
deficiencies before Word of Speed in mid September. I also explained
that I was waiting on my fire suit, my  helmet and safety belts so there
was no need to wast their time out in the sun.

My experience was VERY positive. I could not have asked for more
informed or caring people to look over the car. They started at the rear
of the car and worked forward. They noticed that I had no push bar, but
also noted that per the rule book for me it was not required. However,
it would be very good to have. I agreed and jotted that down. They
looked at the chute mount and made no comment. They looked at the
trailing link restraint system and had no comment. They looked into the
trunk with no comment. Jim climbed into the cockpit and checked it out
pretty well and I demonstrated how the switches were layed out and what
my priority was in shutting the system down normally and in an
emergency. I showed how the parachute release works and how th engine
fire bottle is immediately accessible from the chute release. I showed
the same for the driver fire bottle release. Jim mentioned that when I
get in and suited up that I should make the arm restraint for the left
arm fairly short to prevent my hand from getting outside the body and
that the right restraint should just barely let me reach the master cut
off switch. I thought this was a great suggestion.

part 1 B follows

mayf