Re: Engineering solutions or KISS

To: "Jim Dincau" <jdincau@qnet.com>, <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Engineering solutions or KISS
From: "Benn" <karhu@california.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 10:28:34 -0700
Your story reminds me of the time in '76 when, prepping for the 4-hour
enduro SCCA race at Sears Point, my co-driver built a large-capacity pan
for the 'vette, but apparently didn't tie it to a block while welding it
up.  Stayed up til 3am the night before the race to get it installed
because it needed three prybars and an angry moose to get the holes to
line up.  After all that, the front seal had a 1/4" gap with the pan.
Filled it with silicone sealant, but it bled like a stuck pig during
practice in the morning.  So, spent every minute until the race putting
the old 5-quart pan back in place.  Ironically, the engine held up fine,
but the rear end started fading sometime during the last half hour or
so, and it went out completely in the last turn.  Fortunately, had
enough momentum to ju-u-u-ust coast across the finish line for 4th
overall!  A hell of an exciting weekend.
Benn