Plans for racing - Part #1

To: land-speed <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Plans for racing - Part #1
From: "Thomas E. Bryant" <saltracer@awwwsome.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2005 16:04:48 -0700
Keith & All,

Since I got a bit long winded in this post, It will come in two parts.

Over the years I have lost many friends in this sport. Unfortunately,
most were because of weaknesses in their safety systems. The following
is according to info I have received. Bob Funk, (lakes 1962)...head
injuries from a fire bottle that came loose, Pete Dean, (lakes late
'70s??)...head injuries from his weight box that came loose, Nolan
White, (Bonneville 2002)...broken neck because his head was secured, but
his body was not, John Beckett, Bonneville '05)...broken neck because
lost padding in head area allowed too much head movement.

Each one of these racers were good friends and fierce competitors in
their respective classes. Pete Dean and I had the same kind of
relationship that John and I did. We ran head to head for a number of
years and had great respect for each other. I am sure that each of these
individuals also considered their cars safe. Rather than scale down our
aspirations, I suggest that we look at our cars and make improvements
that are necessary to insure our survival in case we are unfortunate
enough to have a severe crash. It can happen to any of us at any time
and although increased speed raises the likelihood that it will happen,
   you have a better chance of survival at 300 MPH with adequate safety
equipment than at 150 MPH without.

Tom, Redding CA - #216 D/FCC

part #2 on its way!