Parachutes and the box they come in...

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Parachutes and the box they come in...
From: "kturk" <kturk@ala.net>
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2005 14:44:00 -0500
Had an opportunity to talk to Bob Stroud at length today... we discussed
several things ... many of them even had merit... okay not a lot of them but
this is one of my idea's and I was wondering what you guys thought about it.

The Berkeley has a couple of different chute options... one real high speed
and two lower speed chutes...

Currently only one of them maybe used at a time... however I'm designing a
dual parachute system for the car.... one of the chutes is going to be a
normal Bonneville Ribbon deal that I've been using...as our normal chute...
the other one is going to be an Emergency chute.... it will snag me straight
no matter what happens.... or as Bob Stroud would say.... it will straighten
out the car while it's disenegrating.... the tug should be hard enough to do
damage to my private parts.... but not my eyeballs....  looking like 4 Gs or
so....

The concept is to be able to correct the car at the absolute last minute just
before it starts to spin.... so this chute is going to have to be on a very
short tether.... or Riser if you perfer... ... that way when and if something
ever went wrong.... I could pull this one out of my bag of tricks as a last
minute emergency device....

What do you guys think of the idea?

Keith