Parachutes and the box they come in...

To: "land-speed submit" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Parachutes and the box they come in...
From: "3liter" <saltfever@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2005 00:11:59 -0700
Keith, it seems you are equating a shorter tether (which may be problematic)
with faster deployment. The other option might be to investigate a ballistic
recovery chute. Since it is rocket propelled, deployment "may" be as QUICK
as the short tether you are thinking about but allow you a longer tether and
more optimum mounting. BRS has been building such systems for 25 years.
They started out in hang gliders and ultra-lights and they are now certified
and installed in every Cirrus aircraft produced (about 1,000 this year). For
a certified aviation product, prices range anywhere from $2,400 for a hang
glider to $16K for a Cessna 182. For racing (non-aviation) use they could be
far less expensive.

Go here to check out specs. http://brsparachutes.com/  You will note the
deployment speeds are disappointingly less that what you desire. But I'm
sure low weight for aviation is a design factor.  For racing, more robust
materials and weight might allow greater speeds.

Go here to Aircraft Spruce to check out pricing and other options on
existing systems for ultra lights.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/menus/ap/ballisticrecovery.html

You know, if you consider just 16 Top Fuel and 16 Funny Cars, there are more
than 4,000 parachute deployments over 300 MPH each season! I think NHRA had
only ONE chute mishap last year!  (assumptions based on 25 race dates with
32 cars making about 1 or 2 qualifying passes and maybe 2 or 3 in
eliminations. (5 total for the weekend).    -Elon