Chassis Cushion and Tie Downs

To: drmayf <drmayf@mayfco.com>, LSR <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Chassis Cushion and Tie Downs
From: Dick J <lsr_man@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 14:53:46 -0700 (PDT)
Okay, let's keep going with this and carry it a little farther.  What about
tie-downs?.  What are some of the ways you guys are doing it?

I once had a bad experience with a strap breaking, so I'm switching over to
four chains.  I've found that if I just secure the car fore and aft, it tends
to slowly migrate towards the right hand side of the trailer after a thousand
miles or so.  I figure the soluting is to cross the chains.  Right now, I loop
over the rear axle on the right, and hook it to the left rear corner, then loop
a second chain over the left side of the axle, and hook it on the right rear
corner.  The front is a puzzle, because no matter where I hook the chains, they
are on an un-sprung part of the chassis and they fight agains the normal
"bounce" of the cars suspension.    I'm thinking about putting an eye-bolt
through the bottom of each lower control arm, and hooking the chains to those.
If I put them out near the outer ends, they will have the least up and down
travel.

Where do auto transporters hook their cars?

Dick J
In East Texas

Yahoo! for Good