Re: Chassis Cushion and Tie Downs

To: "Glen Barrett" <speedtimer@charter.net>
Subject: Re: Chassis Cushion and Tie Downs
From: "Thomas E. Bryant" <saltracer@awwwsome.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 16:29:54 -0700 (PDT)
 List,

        I have been following the comments about bladders, etc. with interest.
What kind of trailers do you guys have? Are they sprung? Are you cars
sprung? Maybe I am just to dense to realize it, but this has never been
an issue for me. I have towed thousands of miles and never have I had a
problem. My trailer is sprung, and the race car is sprung. I tie down
the car by securing the wheels (Diest tie downs)and let the car ride on
its springs and shocks.
        Probably one thing in my favor is that I have a frame that is very
rigid, 3/16th wall rectangular tube. It is a long wheelbase car however.
        Just some statistic to consider...averaging 2 Bonneville Meets and one
Lakes Meet per year for 13 years calculates out to 3600 miles per year
or 46,800 miles of towing. During that time the car ran at least 100
miles per year in competition for 1300 miles. The shocks appear to be
just fine still. I checked the wheel bearings when it was disassembled
this year and found them to be OK as well.

Tom, Redding CA - #216 D/FCC