Safety

To: Land Speed <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Safety
From: "Thomas E. Bryant" <saltracer@awwwsome.com>
Date: Thu, 06 Oct 2005 09:49:48 -0700
List,

Further comments on the Herda car. This car was likely the most
aerodynamically perfect car of its day. As has been stated, Bob was an
aeronautical engineer and was very much into detail. His unfortunate
death was preventable, but he chose not to heed the inspector's
suggestions. The tech people had repeatedly told him that he should put
drain holes in the belly pan, but he did not want to compromise the
aerodynamics by doing so.

Today it isn't a choice, drain holes are required in belly pans and
should be! Another item that was mentioned in Jim Knapps story was that
the belly pan pulled down from the firewall allowing the fuel & fire to
enter the driver's compartment. I don't know what the rest of you do,
but my firewall is anchored at the bottom to the belly pan to minimize
the possibility of a separation of the is kind.

It is sad that in order for rules to be enforced someone has to die, but
that seems to be the only way to get our attention. I am not faulting
our tech people, they do an excellent job. There are so many things in a
car that can be a problem that it is easy to overlook potential problems
until an accident brings them to the forefront. I welcome new inspectors
to look at my car, because each person looks at a car a bit differently
and may see something that has been overlooked by myself and previous
tech people.

Tom, Redding CA - #216 D/FCC