Re: NON-LSR Computer Security FYI

To: Bryan Savage <b.a.savage@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: NON-LSR Computer Security FYI
From: Jon Wennerberg <jon@infodestruction.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 11:19:01 -0400
On Wednesday, October 12, 2005, at 11:04 AM, Bryan Savage wrote:

> Before you let a PC hard drive out of your sight.........
> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/update/donatecomputer.mspx
>
> If you can't overwrite the Hard Drive, use a sledge hammer on it.
>
> Bryan
> (RAND Corp. used to melt them down)

One of our pieces of business (here at Star industries) is to recycle
computers (e-waste).  Hard drives, as well as everything else, are
"de-manufactured" back into basic stuff -- metal, plastic, components,
etc -- and returned to the basic materials market.  Everything gets
melted/dissolved/crushed & baled.  It's all done on this side of the
ocean by Cheesehead Wisconsonites.  Nothing* goes to landfill anyplace.
  We've sent about 140,000 pounds of e-waste to the recycler so far in C
Y 2005.  Since we're a confidential document destruction company we've
got some pretty good protocols about keeping secrets, whether on paper
or on hard drives.  All the stuff we do is traceable cradle-to-grave.

I investigated a firm in Cleveland that was going to use a proprietary
chemical process to recover the precious metals from the boards -- but
the "reserved" the right to re-sell anything they didn't want to bathe
in their juice, and since I tell our customers that their stuff will
never again see the light of day -- no go to Cleveland.

* Well, maybe the wood from all those old console television sets. . .

Jon E. Wennerberg
            Owner
     Star Industries
      P O Box 1054