Re: NON-LSR Computer Security FYI

To: Bryan Savage <b.a.savage@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: NON-LSR Computer Security FYI
From: Jon Wennerberg <jon@infodestruction.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 13:35:01 -0400
On Wednesday, October 12, 2005, at 11:58 AM, Bryan Savage wrote:

> It's possible to recover data that has been overwritten by new data
> several times.
> It requires very special equipment.
>
> Bryan

Bad guys have lots of time and feel it's worthwhile to invest in fancy
programs and equipment to recover data you thought you'd removed.
That's why I've got a business -- to dispose of the stuff so you don't
have to worry that someone will find your private information.

Shooting your hard drive -- or anything that'll make it physically
impossible to spin the disc -- will make it pretty difficult to
retrieve any information.  I tell our customers that using us is akin
to driving a nail through the disc -- nothing can be retrieved.  While
using the drive for target practice (or some other means of physically
destroying that or any computer equipment) is definite -- there are
materials that are worth recovering -- gold, silver, and so on, and
heavy metals and chemicals that aren't very good for the water table in
your back yard.  5 or 8 pounds of lead in a picture tube/monitor,
cadmium or other stuff in the batteries, and so on.

Just in case -- we carry insurance to protect our customers from
nefarious folks.

                 Jon Wennerberg
Seldom Seen Slim Land Speed Racing
              Marquette, Michigan