Re: Re: Diesel fuel and MPG cars

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Re: Diesel fuel and MPG cars
From: Mike Lackey <mike_lackey@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 12:33:06 -0700 (PDT)
--- Sparky <wmtsmith@landracing.com> wrote:

> Yeah and Toyota says the Hybrid gets 60 plus mph---Automotive writers
>consistly get 36-42 mpg
> with the heater or ac blower on hi blow--its not even a hybrid the way I
>understand it to
> work---motor only

The Prius is definately a hybrid, it has a gas engine and electric motors.
There are two types of
hybrids: one has the electric motor and the gas/diesel engine both able to
directly power to car,
the other has an engine running a generator and the electric motors are the
only power source for
the car.  The Prius is the former type of hybrid.

They use a bunch of them as shuttles between buildings where I work.  They have
a nice big display
that shows where it is currently getting power from when it's driving.  It
always shows that the
engine is off when it's stopped.  While accelerating, it shows both engine and
electric motors
going at it.  Braking will show that the batteries are getting charged.

The display also shows fuel economy, and I've yet to see one showing over 40mpg.

-Mike Lackey
'68 Chevy C10
'91 Chevy 1500 - "Some assembly required"
'94 Corvette Coupe
'01 Kawasaki Ninja