Re: Diesel fuel and MPG cars

To: mike_lackey@yahoo.com, land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Diesel fuel and MPG cars
From: BWANA343@aol.com
Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2005 20:19:28 EDT
My observance on hybrid cars, based on my experience driving my 2000 Honda
Insight for about 10 months before we gutted it for the world's longest
conversion to G/BGMS, is a 51mpg average here in suburban NY Two passengers,
5spd,
heavy foot. As this particular car draws the largest proportionate number of
mileage nerds, claims vary according to the vanity of the owner.
Currently there is a minimum $4K premium on the cheapest hybrid compared to a
similar vehicle from the same manufacturer.  The payback period for your
investment vs. The similar vehicle is over 200K miles.
I'm still a big fan, and believe in a few years the hybrid choices and prices
will enable us all to purchase "guiltless" transportation. If politics and
technology allow, Diesel will be a choice, especially for the truck crowd. I
don't believe fuel cells, etc, are a viable alternative in the near future,
unless an unforeseen discovery proves me wrong?
Sorry it took so long to reply to this thread (my opinion, FWIW ) , I was
trying to get the hybrid hybrid race-able for the last shot at Maxton. It still
ain't 100%...Plan is Drag racing in NJ in two weeks, as LSR is over until next
April, but you've heard that before.
Bob, lies alot, W