Re: Way back when .... (NON LSR)

To: jdincau@qnet.com, land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Way back when .... (NON LSR)
From: BWANA343@aol.com
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 14:37:49 EST
In a message dated 12/16/2005 1:02:20 PM Eastern Standard Time,
jdincau@qnet.com writes:
> Mickey Thompson's twin aluminum 215 Pontiac dragster
> Never heard/saw that one..Was it a pair of the OHC 6's?

Two of the aluminum V8's one with Olds heads and one with Pontiac heads.
Jim
Duh, how could I forget that thing? I saw 215 Pontiac and my CRS went to the
6 thing.
Bryan mentions the Tempest 4, as many know was half a 389 Pontiac. My father
owned a '63 4 door, automatic transaxle, 1 bbl 115 hp from 195 in. But it had
240 something pounds of torque, created some interest in local HotRod circles.
Tended to eat timing chains, which I also believe was a trait of the OHC 6 ?
The Tempest came with tall tires on 15 in wheels, made for good overall
performance. Naturally, we put, if I remember right, Corvair wheels and smaller
aspect tires on it and kicked ass in L Stock Automatic in both the 1/8th and
1/4
drags locally.
Probably the most effective and least costly car I was ever involved with.
One more thing on the Austin and it's final destination. I was told it sat on
top of other cars at our favorite Auto Graveyard in plain sight of I-95 for a
few months in the South Bronx right next to the old Whitestone Drive-In until
it disappeared, or fell off. I'd like to think it got adopted by some 4-F and
is alive and well, someplace....
Bob, weird car guy,W