Re: Ak Miller ~ a Hot Rodding Giant

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Ak Miller ~ a Hot Rodding Giant
From: FastmetalBDF@aol.com
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2005 13:44:28 EST
Akton Miller ~ Wow, what can you say about this man who was the very
Essence of True Innovative, Do It Yourself, Hot Rodding ?  One of my
All Time Heroes, right up there with Big Daddy Don, Chris Karamesines,
Art Chrisman, Mickey Thompson, Smokey Yunick, AJ Watson, Ollie Silva,
Richie Evans, and a host of other great drag racing, land speed, and
oval track drivers, and master mechanics ....  the list is very
long. Let's hope a book about Ak will be in the works 'ere too much
time passes.

What stories can be recalled by so many folks who knew him, and worked
and raced with this talented man :
     Early hot rodding in LA area( including actually racing a quarter
horse with his deuce roadster ! ), his Olds-powered 27T 'Caballo De
Hierro' ( Horse of Iron ) in two Mexican Road Races, showing its'
turtledeck mounted spare tire to some of Europe's Finest High-Dollar
sports cars ..... his Devin-bodied Bonneville and Pikes Peak entries,
many driven by himself. The list is truly very long of his mechanical
innovations and racing deeds and successes.  I first read about Ak in
the early fifties Hot Rod Mags, like many of us who did not reside in
California( yet ).  I was fascinated with Caballo and all its'
details, most especially the four Stromberg 97s that he cut and
Siamesed into a one-of-a-kind Ak Miller four-barrel carb !!!  This
home-brewed mixture of low cost Detroit Iron opened many eyes,
especially in the competing teams, after each leg of the Pan-Americana
races ..... one of American Hot Rodding's True Legends !!!  I saw Ak
at a Hartford, CT. Autorama, back in 1961 or '62, as he was there
representing the ( Ford racing team, I think? ).  I wanted to approach
him and ask him a few questions about that Stromberg set-up that had
worked so well in Mexico ..... but in those days I was so Totally In
Awe of ALL the Giants of hot rodding and the entire racing world that
I held back !!!  With age, hopefully, has come a bit of wisdom, as
well as the ability to walk up to and talk with anybody, no matter
what their title, accomplishments, or station in life ......

  Hot Rodding has lost a True Genius and a Giant and Legend From the
Golden Era.  Farewell, Akton Miller, Hero to myself, and so many in
the racing and automotive world ~ Your Race is Now Run ~ You Ran It in
a Most Magnificent Way ~

Thanks for many wonderful memories .........

Bruce D. Ferguson. longtime admirer of your fast racing cars, driving deeds
and mechanical abilities.