RE: OT - Non LSR

To: "'LandSpeed'" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: OT - Non LSR
From: "Mike Meierle" <mike.meierle@alcatel.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2006 11:07:57 -0500
GPS is mandated in Cell Phones for 911 purposes. The triangulation requires
special coordination too time consuming for the volume of Cellular 911
calls.

"The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) mandated that all cell phone
providers have the technology in place to provide Enhanced 911 (E911)
service, giving emergency operators the caller's physical location, by 2004,
and 95% of phones are required to be GPS-enabled by the end of 2005. All
cell phones being sold now by major providers contain the GPS technology. If
you have an older phone that doesn't support GPS, it won't be turned off,
but when you go to replace it, you'll get a GPS-capable phone."

Mike M.