Re: OT - Non LSR

To: drmayf <drmayf@mayfco.com>
Subject: Re: OT - Non LSR
From: Jon Wennerberg <jon@infodestruction.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2006 09:02:28 -0500
On Wednesday, January 4, 2006, at 12:53  AM, drmayf wrote:

> Ok, I just inished a book. First grade primer..no wait that was last
> week...Ok, well then, this one was about a lawyer and a murder trial
> and software... After reading the book, I ask a phunny question to
> myself...what if spyware is written by the government to keep track of
> what us citizens do with our free time, money moral, and everything in
> between? What if it is not just for business, etc. What if big brother
> really is watching? With all the minds at NSA to write software, what
> if the spyware is undetectable?
>
> scary..
>
> mayf

I'm reading Digital Fortress - a story (novel, one hopes) about how
NSA's "TRANSLTR" computer -- that cracks codes and stuff -- is foiled
by an unbreakable code.  Yup, it does put thoughts of spyware in the
forefront of one's mind.

As for cellphones -- do they really have GPS stuff imbedded?  I know
that the very nature of cellphone systems allows location of the 'phone
by triangulating from the multiple towers that can hear any particular
cellphone at any one time, and that location can be pretty accurate.
That being the case, why bother putting GPS parts inside?

Inquiring mind (not wearing a foil helmet just now) wants to know!

                 Jon Wennerberg
Seldom Seen Slim Land Speed Racing
              Marquette, Michigan
              (that's 'way up north)